Membership in the Manassas Chorale is open to high school and adult singers from the greater Manassas area. The Chorale performs four concerts per season; auditions are held at the start of the rehearsal segment for each concert. Prospective singers are welcome to visit "open rehearsals" on the dates listed below, and then audition for the Artistic Director and a second judge. Those who are invited to join the Chorale may then pay dues, purchase concert music, and order performance attire.
Every two years, or as determined by the Director, all members of the Chorale will undergo the audition process if they wish to continue in the Chorale.
The Chorale Ensemble is a smaller group of about 30 singers selected by the Artistic Director in the fall, partly based on their most recent audition results. Ensemble members have a higher score criteria and must demonstrate reliability and commitment to the Chorale, so members in their first year are rarely considered. Members can indicate their desire to be considered for the Ensemble on the audition form, or by notifying the Director.
Auditioning to Join the Chorale
- Prospective members will meet with the Vice President at the close of their first rehearsal for question/answer orientation and to schedule an audition. The VP will make every effort to keep multiple auditions consecutive.
- Prospective members will check in with the VP at the beginning of rehearsal on the night of their audition to review the audition process and ensure that they are prepared and have filled out their paperwork, etc. Auditions will take place after Chorale rehearsal.
- Singers will audition on a piece of music provided the previous week along with a CD with all the voice parts. The CD will be used at the audition as accompaniment. Singers will sing their own voice part as written.
Auditioning to Stay in the Chorale
- Auditions will be offered in the Spring following the last concert of the season and in the Fall or in the Summer before the first rehearsal of the next season. Auditions will be primarily scheduled through an interactive calendar online to avoid the long lines and confusion of signing up at rehearsals. The Vice President is in charge of getting the audition schedule from the Director and ensuring that all Chorale members have had an opportunity to sign up for an audition.
- Singers are asked to arrive before their audition time to check in and ensure that they are prepared, know what to expect, and have their forms filled out.
- Singers will audition on a piece of music that the Chorale performed at the Spring concert. (A Spring concert piece will also be used at the Fall auditions.) A CD will be used at the audition as accompaniment. Singers will sing their own voice part as written.
- For all auditions, new and returning, singers will be rated by a two-judge panel, one of whom is the Artistic Director, on the following criteria. A more detailed audition score breakdown can be found by downloading our member handbook on the Member Information page.
- Scoring on prepared piece
- Tonal accuracy
- Rhythmic accuracy
- Sight singing
- Ear training
- Vocal range
- Scoring on prepared piece
- Judges will score the audition and add any comments. The average of the judges' scores will be the singer's audition score.
- The Director will determine the minimum score for acceptance into Chorale membership, based on the scores received by other members, the quality of singing needed, and the size and composition desired for the Chorale. (The maximum size of the Chorale is around 150 members.)
- The Director has the discretion to deny membership to a singer even if they have a passing score.
- The Director will communicate the results of the audition to each singer.
- If a singer fails the audition, he/she will be eligible to audition again in a year.
For the 2012-2013 season, we will be accepting new members on the following dates:
Fall Segment: August 28 - September 11, 2012
Winter Segment: October 9 - 23, 2012
Voices United Segment: January 8 - 22, 2013
Spring Segment: March 19 - April 2, 2013
To arrange an audition, please attend a rehearsal during one of the dates above, or contact the Director, Becky Verner.